- Viral infection common in young children and infants
- Leading cause of hospitalization for children in the first year of life in the U.S.
- Most cases are caused by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), flu or the common cold
- Outbreaks peak during the winter season
According to a research letter from the Journal of the American Medical Association, X-rays were used in nearly half the children admitted to a U.S. emergency department for bronchiolitis between 2007-2015.
Excessive imaging leads to:
- Higher healthcare costs
- Radiation exposure
- Antibiotic overuse
Northwest Radiology pledges to Image Gently, following guidelines to lower the amount of radiation used in medical imaging and eliminating unnecessary procedures.
Image Gently Alliance:
- Provides safe, high-quality pediatric imaging
- Raises awareness of the need to adjust radiation doses when imaging children
Questions to ask
Is this X-ray necessary?
How will it improve my child’s care?
Are there alternatives to the X-ray or scan?
Will you be using a lower dose of radiation?
Be your child’s advocate!